Diagnosing infectious disease
Find the culprit. Here, you’ll learn how to spot hard-to-find clues with a thorough history and physical exam. Combine them with blood and culture results to make a diagnosis.
- Diagnosing infectious disease intro
- Taking a complete history
- Performing a world-class physical exam
- Interpreting blood test results
- Deciphering culture results
- BONUS INTERVIEW: John's paragraph-approach for history taking.
Learn how to recognize and treat common adult and pediatric respiratory infections. Uncover common treatment errors physicians make and how to identify obscure causes of pneumonia.
- Respiratory infections intro
- Overcoming the common cold
- Handling pharyngitis
- Diagnosing upper respiratory infections
- Coping with bronchitis
- Determining where to treat community-acquired pneumonia
- Managing community-acquired pneumonia
- Treating hospital-acquired pneumonia
- BONUS INTERVIEW: A bad case of bilateral pneumonia.
Gastointestinal tract and abdominal infections
Learn to trust your gut with this chapter on gastrointestinal infections. Differentiate between and treat various intraabdominal infections and know when the cause is serious.
- Gastointestinal tract and abdominal infections intro
- Differentiating intraabdominal infections
- Recognizing appendicitis and diverticulitis
- Managing cholecystitis and colitis
- Handling food poisoning
- Coping with diarrhea
- BONUS INTERVIEW: A septic patient with cirrhosis. Always be open to new information.
A wee, little infection can sometimes become a life-threatening illness. In this chapter, learn how to differentiate between and treat different types of urogenital infections.
- Urogenital infections intro
- Resolving urinary tract infections
- Diagnosing urethritis and pelvic inflammatory disease
- Discerning primary and secondary syphilis
- Treating tertiary and latent syphilis
- BONUS INTERVIEW: The importance of a thorough exam.
Bone, joint, and skin infections
Learn to differentiate between and treat acute and chronic osteomyelitis, and control life-threatening skin and soft tissue infections such as gangrene and orbital cellulitis.
- Bone, joint, and skin infections intro
- Treating osteomyelitis
- Conquering septic arthritis
- Recognizing common skin and soft tissue infections
- Controlling life-threatening skin and soft tissue infections
- BONUS INTERVIEW: If you're open to it, sometimes patients can do more for the doctor than the other way around.
Central nervous system infections
In this chapter, you’ll learn to analyze spinal fluid findings to recognize and treat chronic and acute meningitis, whether the cause is viral, fungal, bacterial or tuberculous.
- Central nervous system infections intro
- Identifying acute meningitis
- Managing chronic meningitis
- Eliminating encephalitis
Life-threatening systemic infections
Here, you’ll take a deep dive into all forms of tuberculosis, Lyme disease, and endocarditis. You’ll also cover antibiotic resistance and the optimal management of sepsis.
- Life-threatening systemic infections intro
- Recognizing sepsis
- Defeating infective endocarditis
- Spotting Lyme disease
- Characterizing primary and post-primary tuberculosis
- Evaluating latent tuberculosis
- Managing active tuberculosis
- Handling multidrug-resistant bacterial infections
- BONUS INTERVIEW: A patient with back pain.
- Infectious disease essentials outro