Nuts and bolts of ultrasound-guided procedures
Begin your journey to procedural US mastery in this chapter. Learn about doppler functions, transducers, in plane/out of plane techniques, and optimization of US views.
- Nuts and bolts of ultrasound-guided procedures intro
- Mastering the basic techniques and modes
- Interpreting artifacts
- Optimizing your ultrasound images
- Using the different ultrasound modes
- Preparing for a sterile procedure
- Orienting your probe to visualize the needle
- Benefits of ultrasound guidance
Ultrasound guidance for central line placement
Don’t let your central line placement efforts be in vain. Learn how to reduce complications and find important structures of the neck, anterior chest, and femoral region using US.
- Ultrasound guidance for central line placement intro
- Differentiating between arteries and veins
- Imaging the lateral neck
- Imaging the anterior upper chest
- Mastering the ultrasound anatomy of the groin
- Mastering ultrasound guidance for central line placement
- Avoiding common complications
Ultrasound guidance for paracentesis
Perfect your paracentesis technique. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to identify pockets of fluid in the abdomen, perform paracentesis procedures, and avoid common mistakes.
- Ultrasound guidance for paracentesis intro
- Identifying ascites on ultrasound
- Recognizing the decoys
- Mastering ultrasound guidance for paracentesis
- Troubleshooting and avoiding common pitfalls
Ultrasound guidance for thoracentesis and intubation
Breathe easy knowing you’ll master thoracentesis by the end of this chapter. Learn how to identify pleural effusion, neck structures, and perform thoracentesis with the help of US.
- Ultrasound guidance for thoracentesis and intubation intro
- Identifying thoracic anatomy on ultrasound
- Identifying pleural effusions on ultrasound
- Mastering ultrasound guidance for thoracentesis
- Localizing the endotracheal tube on ultrasound
- Troubleshooting complications
Ultrasound guidance for lumbar puncture
Peek before you poke! Perfect your lumbar puncture with US by learning how to find the spinous process and dura mater, position your patient correctly, and fix common complications.
- Ultrasound guidance for lumbar puncture intro
- Identifying the lumbar spine on ultrasound
- Using ultrasound to set the mark
- Positioning your patient
- Mastering the tricks of the trade
Ultrasound guidance for subcutaneous abscess management
Don’t let abscess management get under your skin. Learn how to identify superficial tissue structures and subcutaneous abscesses, and then use US to guide incision and drainage.
- Ultrasound guidance for subcutaneous abscess management intro
- Imaging soft tissues
- Identifying abscesses
- Guiding incision and drainage with ultrasound
- Avoiding complications
Ultrasound guidance for arthrocentesis
Get into a joint with total ease after completing this chapter. Learn how to use US to identify structures of the knee, avoid complications, and guide a successful arthrocentesis.
- Ultrasound guidance for arthrocentesis intro
- Identifying structures of the knee on ultrasound
- Avoiding complications
- Guiding arthrocentesis with ultrasound
Important considerations for performing ultrasound-guided procedures
Cap off your procedural US journey with this chapter. Learn how to adjust for patient health literacy, gain informed consent, improve procedural safety, and document your findings.
- Important considerations for performing ultrasound-guided procedures intro
- Talking to your patients
- Explaining the procedure fully
- Embracing a culture of safety
- Explaining ultrasound guidance to patients
- Mastering image storage and documentation
- Procedural Ultrasound Masterclass outro