In order to understand thyroid dysfunction, you need to understand normal thyroid structure and function—here we review normal thyroid hormone production, metabolism, and actions.
- Thyroid physiology intro
- Appreciating thyroid anatomy
- Grasping thyroid hormone production
- Comprehending thyroid hormone metabolism
- Unraveling thyroid hormone function
- Making sense of thyroid hormone regulation
Thyroid lab assays
In this chapter, you will learn all about the different techniques used to measure thyroid hormone and TSH, so that you know which tests to order and when to suspect interference.
- Thyroid lab assays intro
- Mastering TSH assays
- Evaluating total thyroid hormone levels
- Measuring thyroid binding proteins
- Assessing free hormone levels
- Identifying assay interference
Thyroid imaging is an important tool in diagnosing thyroid abnormalities. In this chapter, you will learn how to use ultrasound and nuclear medicine to evaluate the thyroid gland.
- Thyroid imaging intro
- Mastering radioactive iodine (RAI) imaging
- Interpreting an RAI uptake and scan
- Interpreting a normal thyroid ultrasound
- Recognizing abnormalities on a thyroid ultrasound
Here, you will learn about the different causes of hyperthyroidism so you can accurately identify patients with a hyperfunctioning thyroid and select the most appropriate treatment.
- Hyperthyroidism intro
- Recognizing the clinical presentation of hyperthyroidism
- Identifying the causes of primary hyperthyroidism
- Diagnosing Graves' disease
- Diagnosing autonomous nodules
- Diagnosing thyroiditis
- Understanding the causes of secondary hyperthyroidism
In this chapter, you will learn the clinical presentation and appropriate steps in diagnosis of the various causes of hypothyroidism so you can effectively help these patients.
- Hypothyroidism intro
- Recognizing the clinical presentation of hypothyroidism
- Interpreting lab values in the diagnosis of hypothyroidism
- Understanding the development of hypothyroidism
- Identifying iatrogenic causes of hypothyroidism
- Detecting secondary hypothyroidism
Treating thyroid disease
Once you diagnose a patient with thyroid dysfunction, you need to select the best medication to treat their underlying disorder; these lessons will help you make that decision.
- Treating thyroid disease intro
- Selecting the appropriate treatment for hyperthyroidism
- Using thionamides
- Using radioactive iodine (RAI) ablation
- Recognizing when surgery is needed
- Selecting the appropriate treatment for hypothyroidism
Other causes of abnormal thyroid lab values
Sometimes patients have thyroid lab abnormalities but do not have underlying thyroid disease. Here, you will learn how to spot these abnormalities and what to do about them.
- Other causes of abnormal thyroid lab values intro
- Diagnosing non-thyroidal illness
- Identifying subclinical hypothyroidism
- Recognizing subclinical hyperthyroidism
- Managing thyroid hormone resistance
- Checking for drug interference
- Grasping the importance of iodine
Amiodarone is a commonly used cardiac medication that can affect thyroid function. Learn what to expect and how to manage the thyroid dysfunction that may develop.
- Amiodarone intro
- Mastering amiodarone basics
- Explaining the effects of amiodarone
- Recognizing changes due to amiodarone therapy
- Identifying patients at risk for amiodrone-induced hypothyroidism (AIH)
- Unraveling amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis
- Diagnosing amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis (AIT)
- Treating amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis (AIT)
The thyroid and pregnancy
Pregnancy causes many changes in a woman. Here, we explain how pregnancy can affect thyroid function, and teach you how to interpret thyroid tests in your pregnant patients.
- The thyroid and pregnancy intro
- Recognizing the need for increased thyroid hormone
- Examining abnormal thyroid function tests
- Interpreting thyroid lab values during pregnancy
- Thyroid Disease Masterclass outro