What is diabetes?
Diabetes comes in lots of shapes and sizes. Find out how to differentiate between the various types and detect diabetes in patients who have not yet been diagnosed.
- What is diabetes? intro
- Comprehending glucose regulation
- Describing type 1 diabetes
- Describing type 2 diabetes
- Identifying other forms of diabetes
Making the diagnosis
Diabetes can go undiagnosed for a long time. Here, you’ll learn the risk factors for diabetes, who should be screened, which tools to use, and how to make an early diagnosis.
- Making the diagnosis intro
- Recognizing risk factors
- Measuring blood sugars
- Using hemoglobin A1C
- Diagnosing pre-diabetes
What's your goal?
Goal setting is crucial for good diabetes control. Discover the various tools you can use to assess glycemic control and to ensure that you and your patient are on the same page.
- What's your goal? intro
- Assessing glycemic control
- Individualizing goals
- Monitoring blood glucose
- Recommending lifestyle interventions
Type 2 diabetes can be treated with many medications—so where do you start? Find out how each of these medications work, their risks and benefits, and how to choose the right one.
- Starting treatment intro
- Using metformin
- Prescribing sulfonylureas
- Recognizing the role of thiazolidinediones (TZDs)
- Utilizing incretins
- Understanding SGLT-2 inhibitors
Using oral medications
Every patient with diabetes has a unique set of needs. Learn how to select a medication based on their specific needs and tweak their treatment to achieve optimal glucose control.
- Using oral medications intro
- Minimizing hypoglycemia
- Minimizing weight gain
- Preventing cardiovascular disease
- Minimizing cost
Starting insulin can be intimidating. Here, you’ll learn to recognize when and how to initiate insulin, and know the various insulins (and pumps) to use.
- Adding insulin intro
- Initiating insulin
- Using basal insulin
- Understanding mealtime insulin
- Using alternative insulins
- Using insulin pumps
Tweaking insulin can be tricky. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to treat hyperglycemia and avoid hypoglycemia, manage non-compliance, and lower costs for insulin patients.
- Adjusting insulin intro
- Treating fasting hyperglycemia
- Managing post-meal hyperglycemia
- Avoiding hypoglycemia
- Managing non-compliance
- Using low-cost insulins
When things go wrong
Diabetes can come with a host of comorbidities. Find out how to manage problems such as cardiovascular disease, hyperlipidemia, and diabetic neuropathy in patients with diabetes.
- When things go wrong intro
- Managing cardiovascular disease
- Managing hyperlipidemia
- Treating microvascular disease
- Managing diabetic neuropathy
Manage diabetes in special patient groups. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to adjust management in pregnancy, renal disease, hospitalization cases, and other situations.
- Special populations intro
- Adjusting management in the elderly
- Altering management in renal disease
- Managing diabetes in pregnancy
- Mastering management in hospitalized patients
- Treating steroid-induced diabetes
- Diabetes Mellitus Masterclass outro