Understanding the basics of ICDs
This chapter is essential for understanding ICDs! Learn what an ICD is, how ICDs are different from pacemakers, how to identify a patient who needs one, and how ICDs are used.
- Understanding the basics of ICDs Intro
- What is an ICD?
- Transvenous ICDs
- ICD leads
- The subcutaneous ICD
- Who qualifies for an ICD?
This chapter introduces you to how ICDs are able to see what the heart is doing! You will learn how ICDs detect arrhythmias and how to interpret device electrograms.
- Detecting arrhythmias Intro
- Sensing and electrograms
- Markers and annotations
- Heart rate criteria—zones
- Counters part I—consecutive counters
- Counters part II—rolling window counters
- Sensing ventricular fibrillation (VF)
Discriminating between different arrhythmias
We will teach you how you can use discriminators—the brains behind heart rhythm interpretation—to give your patient as normal a life as possible and avoid inappropriate therapy
- Discriminating between different arrhythmias intro
- Onset—how did it start?
- Stability—regular versus irregular
- QRS morphology—a 'normal' template
- AV association
- PR pattern analysis
Recognizing an abnormal rhythm is step one—treating it is next! Learn how ICDs terminate dangerous arrhythmias and how you can tailor ICD settings to provide bespoke treatment.
- Treating arrhythmias intro
- What is ATP (anti-tachycardia pacing)?
- How ATP terminates ventricular tachycardia
- Types of ATP
Understanding device limitations and solutions
If only these devices were perfect! In this chapter we will teach you the limitations of ICDs and give you the tools to troubleshoot the most common ICD issues.
- Understanding device limitations and solutions intro
- Failure to sense
- Failure to defibrillate
- Ventricular fibrillation induction (device testing)
- Inappropriate therapy
- Troubleshooting inappropriate therapy for atrial fibrillation
- Troubleshooting inappropriate therapy for supraventricular tachycardias (SVTs)
- Troubleshooting inappropriate therapy for T wave oversensing
- Troubleshooting inappropriate therapy for lead fractures and electromagnetic interference
Managing patients with ICDs
Do you have a patient with an ICD that needs medical treatment? Learn how external factors affect ICDs so that you can devise an appropriate treatment plan and answer your patient’s questions!
- Managing patients with ICDs intro
- ICDs and magnets
- ICDs and electromagnetic interference
- ICDs and surgery
- ICDs and MRI
- ICDs and radiotherapy
- ICDs and driving